Call me late to the party if you wish, but I’ve recently discovered GlassDharma straws after my MD diagnosed me with GERD and ordered smoothies to the diet plan.
Growing up, my dentist has always told me to consume sweet drinks (or even diet soda) through a straw to avoid cavities. After some research on my own, I came up with some tips to share. Some straw 101 if you want to call it that! (Source) Just remember that I’m no professional yet, but I do care a lot about cavities and I do my research!
- Positioning of the straw – when you use a straw, make sure to aim the opening to the back of your mouth so the sweet/acidic liquids contact as little “teeth” as possible! This will prevent staining AND cavities!
- Don’t swish your drink around your mouth unless it’s water! (Again, staining and cavities)
- The type of straw you use matters! Between Plastic, metal, and glass, guess which one creates the least waste? If you said metal and glass, you’d be correct. Now between these two, which one has the potential to cause LEAST teeth sensitivity from a hot/cold beverage? GLASS!!!
When I realized I would be drinking through a straw at least once a day, the shopoholic in me decided I needed to do some shopping/research to find the best straws out there.
I stumbled upon DharmaStraws on several blogs and read a ton of raving reviews on Amazon about them.
I concluded that I needed to test out these straws!
Enter DharmaStraws. A family business owned by a glassblower, David, and his wife who live in California.
David created a line of glass straws, to address the issue of abuse and misuse of plastic in our world today. Not only are they beautiful, but useful too. Other benefits include (from the website):
- Glass straws don’t leach toxins into your food as you drink.
- Each time you use your glass straw equals one less plastic straw ending up in your landfill.
- One glass straw replaces thousands of plastic straws. (How many times will you use a straw the rest of your life?)
- Made of borosilicate tubing and is the strongest glass commercially available. (Means that we have spared no expense in bringing you the strongest, most durable drinking straw possible.)
- Made of glass which does not leach ANY TOXINS into your food so you can use your non-toxic straws with confidence.
- Great for hot or cold drinks, microwave and dishwasher safe!
- Covered with a Lifetime Guarantee Against Breakage - Meaning that if they ever break, GlassDharma will replace them – Free! (how many companies still do this??)
- Hand-made in the U.S.A.