My easy ratatouille is simple, flavorful, healthy, and the longer it sits (i.e. the more leftovers there are) the BETTER it gets! Promise!
- 2 medium sized zucchinis
- 2 medium eggplants
- 2 shallots, sliced thinly
- 5 garlic cloves, sliced thinly
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 yellow pepper
- 1/2 red pepper
- Spices & herbs of your choice (I used 2 tbs of Mrs. Dash)
- 1 tsp white sugar
- Olive oil
- Black pepper
- Chop all vegetables in small cubes.
- Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in a large pot.
- Add the zucchinis and eggplants and cook for 5 minutes until softer. Set aside.
- Heat 1 more Tbsp olive oil and then add the garlic, peppers and shallots. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until fragrant & soft.
- Add the tomatoes and mix well. Cook for 5 minutes before adding the zucchinis and eggplants again.
- Season with spices, herbs, sugar and pepper.
- Cook uncovered on low heat for 1 hour or more!
The longer it cooks, the better it gets! This is a dish I served on Valentine’s day, and the boyfriend loved it!
**This recipe was adapted from La Tartine Gourmande. All I did was simplify it, tweak ingredients, and lessen the oil! **