You read correctly! It IS HEALTHY!!! Trust me, it’s also DELICIOUS and fluffy, moist, and warm….yummm
Variations: Switch up your bread (WW french works well!), the milk flavor, and even the topping!
You’ll need (makes 2 servings): A loaf pan/dish
For the soaking mixture:
- 4 – 5 slices whole wheat bread (I used 5x Arnolds honey WW)
- 1 cup vanilla soymilk (if you use unsweetened almond milk, you may need to add natural sweetener!)
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs (or egg substitute equivalent)
- 1/2 cup fresh granola
- Enough brown sugar to coat top layer
- Tear bread roughly into 1 inch pieces and layer into pan
- combine the rest of the ingredients for soak mixture in a bowl, then pour over the top of bread.
- Gently press bread down into liquid, but don’t over-squish
- Cover with Saran wrap and refrigerate overnight (but not over 24 hours)
In the morning….
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Simply press the bread more into the soak mixture
- Sprinkle topping evenly over mixture (don’t forget the edges!)
- and bake for ~40 minutes or until it POOFS! And it DOES!!!!
Serve with fruit, almond butter, fruit butter, maple syrup or chocolate syrup!!!🙂